Sunday 29 June 2008

Speaker's Corner

My first Sunday in London was a very lazy one. I spent a good two hours over at Speaker's Corner watching my studio art professor, Duane, dressed as an S & M skunk speak about foreign policy. It was odd to see a professor do something like this because all of my professors in the Health and Human Services would actually be offended by his act. They are all just too conservative for my taste, ha. But apparently Duane stayed till around 3 pm speaking with people. I walked around to a couple of other speakers, one reminding me of the character Mrs. Jones from The Happening. She was super frightening and was screaming at the homeless man heckling her. She just kept telling him to not get 'friendly' with her.

After that I made myself a little lunch and attempted to watch Boys Don't Cry on the web. I fell asleep and ended up taking a 3 or 4 hour nap. I'm partially upset with myself for doing so but I needed to. The other night we didn't get back till at least 3:30 am and toured the hell out of London yesterday. I needed that rest otherwise my body may have just pooped out this week.

After dinner Elodie and I walked around to the souvenir shops, bought some awesome post cards, grabbed an ice cream cone, and headed to Hyde Park to listen to The Police. We heard the very last song of KT Tunstall's concert but heard a great deal of the Police's set. If we walked over to the front gate we could even see the stage and the screens a bit. It was so unreal. I still can't believe that I saw/listened to Eric Clapton and The Police in the past couple days and only a few blocks from my dorm.

I still felt dreadfully homesick today. I'm not homesick for America or Ohio, just for the people. Everyone here is friendly, awesome, and a blast to hang out with but it's so much different to share this experience with a stranger than with my closest friends. Elodie is here but I want everyone else here too. I want to go to pubs with my favorites and I want to listen to Eric Clapton with my dad by my side, I want to tour the galleries with my mom and Mindy, I want to share this with all of them. It breaks my heart that I've made it to Europe before my parents but I have my grandmother to thank for that. I don't think I would be here if I didn't have the inheritance money from her and my grandfather. I wouldn't of let my parents pay for this trip. It's mine because I paid for it. I am still dependent upon them for living expenses while here but I've already decided to pay them back for every cent spent. It's not their job to pay for me anymore. I want to be independent from them. I'm 23 I have to be.

I am also struggling with this figure drawing class. I don't have much faith in what I do. I like some of the stuff I draw but I'll get half way through drawing someone outside or on the tube and give up. I am just losing faith in my abilities to do anything creative. My major never really allowed me to think out of the box. Only counseling did. I hope tomorrow's drawings are better. Elodie likes them, though. But she's not my professor.

I posted pictures on Facebook but they are a bit tiny. I'm not sure why my pictures came out so small on my computer. That's not cool. But they are fun to look at!

Goodnight from Londontown....well Westminster really.

Britt

No comments: