Thursday 26 June 2008

3 Days in London and I've Learned a Few Things

Things I've come to realize about this city:
1. Always take a light jacket, coat, or cardigan with you everywhere you go no matter what. The weather is silly and decides to be super cold then super hot then super windy all together. It's bizarre. Bought 2 cheap sweaters and cardigans today from H and M since it is so cold!
2. You will most likely climb multiple levels of stairs daily making it not so bizarre to have comments about your fit butt daily. Climbed 193 steps up from a tube stop today at Covent Square.
3. British people think we have THICK accents. Some man told me that I had a thick accent today.
4. Always carry cash. Even some big coffee shops don't take credit.
5. Tell your bank you are leaving the country (I know that seems obvious but this girl forgot to do that).
6. Buy water and carry it around. It's fucking expensive to buy a bottle of water here while out. Sometimes up to $4!

I've learned a few other things but can't think of them at the moment. I'm sure there is more to come that I will learn. I think I have the Underground system down to a T. I feel so smart and independent. This morning I didn't have class so I bummed around my section of town...which is Maryleborne. It's North of Hyde Park and close to Speaker's Corner. Everything is Arab and super ritzy too. I like it so far. I walked down some random streets and all the way over to Marble Arch. Found the Animals of War monument dedicated to all the animals that have died in the wars. I tried to sketch it but all of my proportions were silly and off. But you know, it really isn't that bad of a picture. Then I walked over to Hyde Park for a hot second. I took some pictures of all the chairs but didn't have time to walk around. I then headed over to the British Museum. I made it there all on my own without any problems other than walking in the wrong direction for a hot second. I sat there for awhile in the gardeny area in front and drew pictures of people eating and reading, and a light post. Then I walked back to find some food at the main street. Ran into some ladies from my group and had a cheap sandwich and a diet coke for lunch. This buying lunch everyday thing is no dice. So expensive. So I went to the grocery store tonight with a couple ladies, Jenn and Racheal, to buy some more lunch food. Blech...I feel guilty for the amount of money I've spent already.

During my first Art History class today we talked about the Partheon and the Elgin Marbles. These are stone marble slabs and statues that were pretty much stolen by the British from the Greeks. Now there is a large controversy about what should happen. Should the British give them back? If they do will that create even more controversy with other pieces of art that other nationalities want back in their country? Should they share? I really enjoyed listening to people chat and had a cute and good discussion with some ladies in my group. Afterwards we all went to look at the mummies. The British Museum houses real mummies and one is an actual preserved body. It's 100% ridiculous. I felt guilty taken a picture of this body but someone was videotaping it. Now that's even more bizarre. Lost Elodie for a hot second and then when we reunited headed over to Covent Square to eat at a super cute Vegetarian restaurant. It was super delicious and I had cous cous and a quiche with sweet potatoes and red peppers. PHENOMENAL! And super cheap. I can't remember the name of this place...but I will be going back and will take a picture of how cute it is. After that we went with Elodie's friend, Jessi to a pub nearby that plays loud punk music. It seems so Americanized there and it was quite lovely and super cheap...for here anyways. You could get a Corona 2 for 1 from 3 - 8 pm everyday. We were dumbfounded at first at the number of people drinking Corona.

Just went to the grocery store and now I'm super exhausted. The ladies and I are talking about going to Ireland. I should go check what they found for tickets. We are also trying to find cheaper tickets for Paris. Can't wait for each day! Eeps.

Tomorrow morning I have Figure drawing and then my critique in art class in the afternoon.

Soon soon calls from me.

xoxo
britt

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hi love... try ryanair.. for cheap flights. you might be able to get some to dublin or paris for only 40 euro.
i am so jealous. i love you!

have fun!!!!!

~court

the ghost factory said...

hey gurl heyyy!

your blog is already making me feel nostalgic... and that was just yesterday?!

you are SO independent! i'm glad you can run around alone while everyone has class.

see u tmrw, gurl!

xoxo elodie.

nopants said...

wuvs you babyface :0)